It has been a whirlwind of emotion of the past few weeks in South Africa as news of a Tembisa mom giving birth to 10 babies flooded our timelines. If you had to stick a magnifying glass to Pinnochio’s nose you’d probably find this whole story carefully carved all over his wooden nose.
It’s the Fyre Festival of the baby world.
The story seemed so far-fetched and so captivating at the same time, especially when you consider the fact that a mom gave birth to nine babies in May 2021 in Morocco. It even had the Gauteng government in a spin with their famous, ‘We have no record of the 10 babies … Unless they were born in the air,’ statement.
Nonetheless, we wanted to believe it – even if it was for all the right or wrong reasons. I mean, our very own Tembisa resident Gosiame Thamara Sithole putting South Africa in the Guinness World Book of Records.
And then everything started to unravel.
A cheating boyfriend, missing person report, fake missing person report, and now an admission by the ‘father’ that “there are no babies“.
According to News24, Tebogo Tsotsetsi – the supposed Tembisa 10 father – has admitted that he doesn’t believe that his girlfriend gave birth to ten babies. In a statement released by his family, it was admitted that he had never seen the decuplets and was solely relying on the word of the ‘mother’, Gosiame Sithole. He has also tried on numerous occasions to visit his girlfriend and the Tembisa 10 but to no avail.
According to the family’s statement:
– We recognise and appreciate the support given by Piet Rampedi during the pregnancy from late last year
– Tebogo Tsotetsi informed Pretoria News and Piet Rampedi of the decuplets based on the information he received from his girlfriend
– The family never claimed to have seen the decuplets and relied on the call and WhatsApp confirmation from the girlfriend
– The family lost contact with Gosiame Sithole and with her phone off they opened a case of a missing person
– Notes failed attempts to visit and see the mother and decuplets The matter remains very sensitive and worrying, especially with Gosiame Sithole’s whereabouts unknown and we call on members of the public to stop donating money into any bank accounts for the decuplets.
– Tsotseti family (News24)
We should have seen all the signs; no hospital records, no actual proof, no photos of the babies, and the list goes on.
But hey, we live in a crazy world where strange things happen all the time, right? One thing for sure is that we can finally put this one to rest… or can we? We guess we’ll just have to wait to hear from Piet – the original author of the ‘Exclusive’ story. There may not have been any babies after all, but Piet definitely gave birth to one cradle-rocking bedtime story. Next time, we’re sending our very own Carol Blanche to ask all the right questions.
The Tembisa 10 – the greatest birthing that never was