Protest and looting updates for South Africa – latest news for Monday 12 July
- EFF Leader Malema said that the chaos unfolding in KZN and Gauteng on Monday should be resolved through engagement rather than soldiers.
- In a statement, the SANDF confirmed it WILL be deploying soldiers to Gauteng and KZN
- According to police, six people have lost their lives since the start of the unrests
- SABC TV crew ATTACKED!
- Looting continues at Jabulani Mall in Soweto.
- The Brookside Mall in PMB is currently on fire. Protestors who have looted shops inside the mall can be seen running away with stolen goods.
- The highways leading to Pietermaritzburg are closed for now.
- Eskom and Metrorail temporarily suspends services
- Protestors in Mpumalanga take to the streets
- Looters break into Cell C shop in Tongaat, KwaZulu-Natal.
No soldiers on our streets! Otherwise, we are joining. All fighters must be ready… they won't kill us all. We need a political solution to a political problem, not soldiers.#NoToSoldiers
— Julius Sello Malema (@Julius_S_Malema) July 12, 2021
— Yusuf Abramjee (@Abramjee) July 12, 2021
— SA emergency reports (@MARIUSBROODRYK) July 12, 2021
Looting continues at Jabulani Mall in Soweto.
— Newzroom Afrika (@Newzroom405) July 12, 2021